Thursday 5 April 2012

Easter/Spring Nails and THE WORST WATER MARBLING EVER

I'm going away over Easter to see my mum so I probably won't have time to post this tomorrow, which is why it's going up a little early. I'm particularly excited for Easter this year as I gave up chocolate for lent and I can't wait to be able to eat it again!

Anyways, I came up with this little nail design as I was going along and it turned out pretty good...



Colours used:
  • OPI I Vant to be A-Lone Star (blue)
  • American Apparel Factory Grey (lavender)
  • American Apparel Army Jacket (green)
  • An old unnamed Avon pink
  • OPI In My Back Pocket (orange for the beak)
  • Barry M Black
  • Natural Collection Nail Tip Whitener
To do this, you need to first paint the base colour on each nail and let it completely dry before sponging on the lavender and the green. Once this is dry, dot on the white with a dotting tool, pinhead, toothpick, bobby pin or whatever you can find that would get similar results. For the ring finger, paint a pink oval and dot two black circles near the top for the eyes of the chick. The beak can be dotted on too, but you will need a smaller tool (I used a toothpick). The white egg can be free handed with the normal polish brush or you could use a smaller nail art brush. All my nail art bushes are dirty (I'm awful at remembering to clean them!) so I used a toothpick to outline the egg and then just filled it in with the normal brush. Add a topcoat and voila!

Now onto the water marbling...

Okay so I have tried water marbling about 5 times and I have been pretty lucky with getting it how I wanted. Instead of the dots, I was originally going to do marbling but then...well...just look...


It's pretty amusing actually as everything that can go wrong did. There are bubbles, smudges and it's all over my fingers as I forgot to put Vaseline around the nail every single time! This may well be the worst water marbling in the entire history of the world. The annoying thing was that my thumb, the one nail I don't photograph, decided to go at least partly right, although it's still all over my cuticles.


Let's never speak of this failure again, yes? :)

Hope you all have a good Easter, if you celebrate it, and don't eat too much chocolate!

3 comments:

  1. wierd how "factory grey" is actually a purple haha! really cute design, though
    http://cloudsandcuticleoil.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you and I know! It's basically just a slightly dusty lilac colour!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I love your blog. Check out mine?
    http://just-another-day1.blogspot.ca/
    xox

    ReplyDelete